Friday, 7 March 2008

The Last Rolo

I was reminded of one of my favourite quotes last night during an online teaching session which I do each week on a Thursday evening at 9.30 on my friend Jo's site Like Mindz.
I teach Reiki and this naturally leads to discussions of other forms of alternative or complimentary healing. A student asked me "Can anyone become a healer?" and I began by saying "Yes of course, they can I am nothing special" quickly followed by " Sorry I am special - - - we all are" which of course raised a laugh.
But reflecting today I realised how far I have come in recognising that I am special - I should add it was a long time coming haha. Over the last 5 years or so I have really focused on making me a happier, healthier person and this has included counselling, self healing through Reiki, talking to many like minded people and also a lot of study and extensive reading.
One of the most profoundly moving books I read was given to me as a gift by my friend Sue when we met at a seminar last September. When I Loved Myself Enough is a beautiful book and was initially a hand made and self-published book by Alison McMillen who wanted as many people as possible to read the wise words of her mother, Kim who had written the words as she was terminally ill.
Here are a few examples from it
  • When I loved myself enough, I could tell the truth about my gifts and limitations.
  • When I loved myself enough I quit having to be right, which makes being wrong meaningless.
  • When I loved myself enough, I came to know I am worthy of knowing God directly.
The evening after I had read the book several of us were in the hotel dining room and there was one chocolate left. I remember looking at it longingly but being the polite person I am I resisted taking it. Then some of the words of the book echoed within me and as I reached to take it I said proudly " I love myself enough to take this last chocolate". Everyone laughed of course but Sue cheered, knowing that her gift had had the impact she intended.

I also got to thinking about how so many people limit themselves and cannot see the beautiful, special person which they are . How we all can get hung up on old ways of thinking and feeling, often based on life's experiences which have in many cases been extreme challenges. So here I offer you the beautiful words of Marianne Williamson, in the hope that it resonates within you and allows you to glimpse how very special you are.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
Marianne Williamson


4 comments:

Crafted Gems said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm rolo's

added your blog too, looking forward to reading more

Kerrie said...

A very interesting post Chris. I'm still on the journey and your words and quotes are very inspiring. Thank you x

Suebh said...

Hey Chris, love your new blog page. It means I can have a birds eye view of whats going on in this interesting journey you are one.

Sue

Kiamyka said...

Thanks for your kind comments. I might see if I can give you all a Quote per day as I have been collecting them for ages, and if I run out erm I will have to make one up haha