Saturday, 3 May 2008

South Yorkshire Open Arts


I have been at Swinton Lock today as part of the South Yorkshire Open Arts event- this happens once a year and artists around South Yorkshire open their studios to the public. I will be there tomorrow and Monday too so if you live locally call in and have a cuppa and a chat. I thoroughly enjoyed myself as it is great to get to meet the public and actually chat with them. People are so interested in the materials we use and one person asked how I got into it all and that really is an interesting story which kind of makes you think it was all meant to be.
Several months before my 50th birthday I was at the Cooper Art Gallery in Barnsley. At that time I was working for MIND and was with a group of clients on one of our "Getting Out There" activities. A jeweller was there organising her stock which was for sale and I fell in love with a Fluorite necklace. I spoke with her briefly as she was leaving and she told me the Gallery staff would give me her contact details as she was dashing to get back to her car, fearing a parking ticket. Of course I forgot to ask them as my mind was on work.
A week before my birthday I was in Tesco and there was Julia. I stopped her and asked did she still have the necklace and luckily she did, but it was out in another gallery. She took my name and address and arranged to deliver it on my birthday. As promised she arrived on the day with the necklace which I wore with pride. However, the fastener was magnetic and after wearing it for an hour or so it would unclasp and fall. Several times I managed to catch it before it fell to the floor but on one occasion it fell and several beads broke. Naturally I was upset, but decided to check at the warehouse if they had any similar so that I could repair it.
I had been to the warehouse several times but never been in the bead department but from the moment I stepped in I was like a kid in a sweet shop. I bought more Fluorite and also treat myself to a few more strings of Amethyst and Quartz and repaired my broken necklace and made new ones. From that moment on I was hooked and the rest as they say is history ..... and my future :-)
Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things.
Denis Diderot (1713 - 1784)

No comments: