Saturday, 5 July 2008

Setting Challenges


A week ago when I was over in Doncaster at BrevonArt, Andrea asked if I had any earrings I could take in and of course I agreed to make some for there. On Thursday I went up into my workshop (which incidentally is still not organised after the changing rooms scenario) and sat there looking at my stock and it struck me I am spoiled for choice! And despite all the choice I was stuck for what to do so decided to set myself a design challenge. I chose 2 different types of shell and planned to make 10 pairs of earrings which would each be significantly different. The actual act of making a pair of earrings takes minutes, yet it took me a full afternoon to come up with the 10 pairs which I was proud of and were favourably received the following day at BrevonArt. (I forgot to take pictures so can't show you them)
Now to take a small diversion and a step back in time I have supported Greenpeace since it began in 1971 and have always been an eco warrior in my own little way. I hate waste of any kind and even if I have 2 full bottles of washing up liquid in the cupboard I would still have to fill the empty one with water and get 2 extra washing ups out of it. It is this aspect in me which leads me to offer a lifetime guarantee on my creations as I would hate to think that the world's natural resources were collected and processed to end up in the bottom of a drawer or in landfill.
Getting back up to date, after talking to Andrea on Friday I decided to set myself a new design challenge and create a range entirely with junk, discarded materials, charity shop finds etc. I realise I will have to use some new parts but plan for them to be 99% junk.

I made a start today and will give you a few clues to what I am up to. I have used this which came through the door today.

I also went to this beautiful park











and collected some of this, and will keep you posted.













And here I am with my little cotton bag and the dogs Cass and Blaize . Cass is the Lurcher, Blaize is the Border Lakeland Terrier (and was the runt of the litter and definitely not anything like she should be but we love her ) I didn't know Pete had taken this one until he showed me when we got back home.

3 comments:

Coburg Crafts said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with, Chris!

Cindy said...

Curiouser and curiouser, Chris.....!

Kerrie said...

Looking forward to seeing the results of your little 'treasure hunt' Chris and it was so great to finally meet you yesterday!

Kerrie x